IT 5235/5235H – Advanced Web Interfaces
Previously IT 4235 Problems in Web Applications
This course provides an introduction and application of human-computer interaction theories to web-based applications. It covers the evaluation of user interfaces using various techniques including heuristic evaluation and user testing. For graduate students a significant research project will be assigned as a culminating experience.
A ‘C’ or better in IT 3130 – Web Application Design and Development I
A ‘C’ or better in IT 3132 – Web Software
On completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of human computer interaction theories.
- Demonstrate an understanding of HCI design principles.
- Demonstrate an understanding of HCI evaluation methodologies.
- Apply HCI principles to web applications.
- Contribute appropriately to collaborative project assignments and case analysis.
- Identify and evaluate new HCI methodologies and approaches.
- Apply HCI principles and methodologies to international user interfaces and web application.
Rationale for Inclusion
The course contributes to the following student outcomes and attributes:
(1) Identify and define the requirements that must be satisfied to address user needs
(2) Analyze user requirements to design IT-based solutions
(3) Identify and evaluate current technologies and assess their applicability to address individual and organizational needs
(4) Work in project teams to develop and/or implement IT-based solutions
(5) Use current computing techniques, skills, and/or technologies.
(e) An understanding of professional, ethical, legal, security and social issues and responsibilities
(f) An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
(g) An ability to analyze the local and global impact of computing on individuals, organizations, and society
(h) Recognition of the need for and an ability to engage in continuing professional development
(j) An ability to use and apply current technical concepts and practices in the core information technologies.
(m) An understanding of best practices and standards and their application.